Is your Business in Dandenong, Dandenong South or Springvale?

Fair Work Ombudsmen will audit 250 Dandenong, Dandenong South and Springvale businesses as part of a new campaign. This three month campaign will focus on record-keeping, pay rates, pay-slip obligations and workplace responsibilities. Inspectors will be making face-to-face visits to businesses so they can offer employers tailored assistance to rectify any non-compliance matters. Employers will be introduced to the free range of tools and resources available to them at the Fair Work Website. All businesses will be randomly selected.

Pay Slips

– Have to be provided to an employee within one working day of payday (even if employees are sick or on annual leave) – Showing leave balances is best practice, but it is not a requirement. – Pay Slips can either be in electronic form or a hard copy. Both types must have the same information.

What information has to show on Pay Slips?

– Employer’s and Employee’s name – Employers ABN – Pay Period – Date of Payment – Gross and Net Pay – Where employee is paid hourly then the ordinary hourly rate, number of hours worked at that rate and the total dollar amount of pay at that rate – Any other allowances, deductions, bonuses that are paid and are different from the ordinary hourly rate – Any deductions made from the employee’s pay including the amount and details of the deduction and the name or both the name and number of the fund the deduction was paid to – All Superannuation contributions paid for the employee’s benefit including the amount of the contributions made during the period (or to be made) and the name or number of the superannuation fund the contributions were made to.

An employer is not allowed to deduct money from an employee’s pay if;

– It benefits the employer directly or indirectly or is unreasonable or – If the employee is under 18 years of ages and their parent or guardian hasn’t agreed to it in writing.

An employer is able to deduct money from an employee’s pay where;

– The employee agrees in writing to this and it is principally for their benefit – It is ordered by law, a court order or by the Fair Work Commission or – It is allowed under the employee’s award or registered agreement.

Acacia have a lot of payroll sites and it is not an uncommon request for support where an employee has been overpaid and we hear “but it’s OK, I’ll just take the funds he owes out of this next pay”. Overpayments can happen, but before you rush to deduct from the employee’s next pay make sure the following has occurred. The employee and employer should meet to discuss and agree on a repayment arrangement. IF the employee agrees to repay the money, a written agreement must be made and signed. This agreement must also contain; – The reason for the overpayment – The amount of money that was overpaid – The way the repayments will be made (cash, cheque) and how often they are to be made. Where an employee and employer cannot agree, the employer should seek legal advice.

Related Articles

Is your supply chain ready the festive season?

Is your supply chain ready the festive season?

With the festive season right around the corner, if you run a distribution business you need to make sure you’re prepared for the busiest time of the year. Your business needs to operate as effectively as possible to handle all the pressure that comes with running a...

read more